Join Our Team
We are always in search of experienced pet sitters and dog walkers to join our team! All of our positions are part-time and the number of hours varies based on customer requests and time of year, so a flexible schedule is important. If you have another part time job that provides you with a consistent schedule, it is sometimes possible to schedule your pet sitting assignments around that. More availability information will be collected during the application process. Homey Hounds strives to provide our valued clients and their pets with service whenever they need it. This means that our sitters need to be prepared to work most holidays and weekends (a per visit bonus is paid on holidays). Typically, afternoon availability 7 days a week is required for dog walking positions and at least some availability both mornings and evenings is necessary for pet sitting positions.
Before applying for either position, it is important to review the policies and expectations for our sitters and walkers listed below. If you have reviewed that and wish to continue with the application process, simply click on the “apply now” button below to be directed to our online job application
Policies and Expectations for HHPS Sitters
- Applicant must be able to successfully pass a criminal background check
- Applicant must reside in one of the HHPS service areas and be willing to drive a maximum of 10 miles to begin their shift
- Applicant must be able to clearly read and write English
- Applicant must be wiling to become pet CPR/First Aid certified (cost of certification will be covered by HHPS)
- Applicant must have at least 3 years pet care experience. In some situations, pet ownership can satisfy this requirement.
- Applicant must drive a reliable, insured vehicle that gets at least 23 MPG. All staff vehicles will be covered primarily by their personal auto policy.
- Applicant must be 20 years of age or older
- The service we provide is personalized for each client and requires a great deal of training and attention to detail. As a result, HHPS requires that any applicant plan to keep the job for at least one year. This is not a summer or Christmas break position.
- Applicant must understand that pet sitting services are client driven, and the the number of hours worked may vary depending on experience and client demand.
- Applicant must have a working cell phone with text and GPS capability (unlimited texting is preferred but not required)
- Applicant must be available most nights, weekends and holidays, although not all weekends or holidays will be required.
- Applicant must be willing to care for all breeds of dogs, including but not limited to Rottweilers, St. Bernards, Great Danes, Dobermans, Pitbulls, German Shepherds, etc. We meet and evaluate all dogs before assigning them to any of our sitters to insure the highest standard of safety.
- Applicant must be in appropriate physical condition to perform walks with large dogs or several dogs on lead. For the safety of our pets and our sitters, HHPS does not perform pack walks, and no sitter should ever be walking more than 2 large dogs or 3 small dogs (all from the same household) at one time.
- Applicant must be willing and able to perform walks in unfavorable conditions, including but not limited to heat, rain, ice, snow, etc. In the case of extreme heat or cold and heavy rain, walks will often be shortened but never cancelled.
- Applicant must be willing to learn how to administer various types of medicines to dogs and cats. This includes pills, liquid oral medicines, creams and ointments, and, on occasion, insulin shots and intravenous fluids. The ability to perform these tasks is not a requirement for hire, as training will be provided.